Tuesday, June 12, 2012

New York New York!!!

So this weekend I had the privilege of going to New York City with my friend Green.  I have been to New York many times, but I had not actually hung out in the city since 2004.  We went to New York to celebrate Green's 30th birthday. 

Our bus drive took a sum total of 6 hours, when it should have taken 4.  During that time there was this super obnoxious girl having multiple conversations on her phone simultaneously.  I was really hoping there was some website that focuses on obnoxious people on public transportation, and I could post her picture to humiliate her.  Alas, no such luck.  Anyway, Green and I were able to master public transportation such that we could get to our hotel.  We wanted to maintain a budget so we stayed at one of the Pod Hotels.  They are budget conscious but the rooms are TINY.  Nonetheless it served our purpose quite well.

Once we checked in we met up with my friend Matt and we went to Candle 79 Restaurant.  It was a fancy vegan/vegetarian restaurant.  We split the nachos after our amuse bouche, and it hit the spot to curb some of our hunger.  As an entree I ended up getting this pasta with seitan, which is a meat substitute, and it wasn't bad!  Green and I split this amaaazing peanut butter dessert.  After that we went to St. Mark's Street in the East Village, to a "speakeasy" called Angel's Share.  We had several mixed drinks, and for whatever reason all of mine smelled like old lady's perfume.  Fail.  Then we went to miscellaneous bars on St. Mark's Street and then got a slice of pizza.  We then went back to midtown where our hotel was and ended the night at a bar nearby. 

The next morning (er, noon) Green and I went to Roosevelt Island on the tramway.  We were able to walk around over there and we took some pictures; it was a lot of fun!  After that we went to meet up with Matt at the Barbecue Festival.  I had been looking forward to this as I love BBQ more than I can say.  However, the lines were two hours per truck, so we ended up going to a BBQ restaurant down the street.  I still got to eat pulled pork and drink beer with my friends, so I called it a win.  After eating our weight in BBQ, the three of us went to Central Park.  We walked down by the boathouse and took some pictures. 


I just thought this was cute!

After returning to the hotel to get ready we went to see Wicked.  OMG, it was so incredibly good.  I did not really like the Wizard of Oz, but Wicked made me like it more.  The music was great, the acting was good, and it was just a wonderful experience.  Minus the small bathrooms...but Matt got us some rum and cokes that we could drink during the performance, so that was pretty awesome.  After the show we ventured into Times Square.  It was crazy busy and I was super overstimulated and wanted to like...eat a McDonalds burger or something!  Green wanted to go to the M&M's store and it was a little insane.  I cannot imagine what it is like to work there.  We went to Emmet O'Lunneys Irish Pub nearby and hung out, and then Matt left and Green and I went to the bar near our hotel.  All I will say was from that point forward the night took a somewhat ridiculous turn =)






Green and I woke up rather hungover, and we ate some breakfast and went to the Puerto Rican Day Parade.  It was a lot of fun, but we were only there a little while before we had to go to catch our bus back to DC.  It was an amazing trip, I think it was well deserved.  I cannot wait to go back again!




No comments:

Post a Comment