Sunday, June 17, 2012

A new family member....



So I promise I won't become a crazy person and make this blog about my cat or post frequently about him.  But, it was a bit of a saga to get him, and it was part of my personal happiness journey.  Around the time I started this blog I knew that I wanted another cat just because I was lonely at nights.  I was not sure of everything though as it has been hard dealing with the sudden loss of my cat in February.  After he died, I had no intention of getting another cat.  I even donated all of my cat supplies. 

At first, it was my hope to get a foster cat.  I was not sure that I wanted a permanent cat for fear of getting a bad match.  So I contacted the Washington Humane Society and filled out a foster application.  Several days went by, no answer.  Two weeks went by, no answer.  I got annoyed and applied to foster at another shelter, and no answer.  So, I started looking into adopting a kitten.  I went to the Washington Humane Society just to look at kittens, but there were not any that I liked enough.  I went to look at the adult cats as I was there, and there was a black cat who came right up to me.  I petted him and walked away, and he moved so that I'd pet him again.  He jumped into my life and made himself at home.  I thought he was really sweet but I wanted a kitten. 

I went to the Washington Animal Rescue League and found a kitten I liked.  I was then interviewed and the lady very nicely told me that unless I got two kittens I was not getting the kitten I wanted.  When I waivered I was told that I was "not a good match" and I left without a kitten.  I cried and called my mother, and realized that if I wanted a cat I would either have to get two kittens or get an adult cat.  I researched and realized why they wanted me to take two kittens.  I still did not know that I wanted two kittens, and so I decided to go look at the cat I saw at the Washington Humane Society again.  When I got there I went over to him and picked him up, and after that he would not leave my side.  I decided that I wanted to take him home.  This time, the interview was a breeze.  The coordinators at the shelter were so happy that he was being adopted, which made me think that perhaps he had been passed over before.  I had heard that all black cats are often passed over and people do not like them as much.  I was able to take him home that day.  His name at the shelter was "Chip" but I decided that name was dumb.  I researched online for black cat names and came up with "Obsidian".  Obviously that's quite a mouth full, so I decided that he would be "Obie" for short.  He has been very grateful thus far, but our first night was a little rough in that he could not decide whether to explore the apartment and snuggle with me. 

Nonetheless, I have definitely enjoyed having him thus far, he is very sweet.  I think the story has a happy ending because he gets a good home and I get a companion.  A symbiotic relationship indeed =)

Obie was fascinated with the washing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment